Friday, February 6, 2009

Random Thoughts on a Friday

9 Careers I'd Like to Have or If I Had a Cat's 9 Lives

How many times do you see or hear about a job and think, "That would be such a cool gig"?

I do it practically every day which made it really hard to whittle this down to 9 lives ("109 lives" is not as interesting a title, is it?) but here goes:

1. Train conductor - don't see a lot of female conductors which makes the job all the more intriguing. I love the idea of riding the rails and traveling from one end of the country to the other and I especially dig those little punchy things they have. But I think you have to know a lot about engineering and how trains actually work and that would take me a long time to learn.

2. Senior Advocate - not seniors in high school but senior citizens. I get so angry sometimes when I read about people who take advantage of the elderly or abuse them. There is a special place in hell for those people and if I were an attorney, I'd send them there! Do I have to go to law school?

3. Hair stylist - I once cut HH's hair before we visited his family and he thought it was horrible. He claimed I didn't have the right scissors but I think he was just too shocked at my mad barber skills. I just know I could be really good at this if I trained at a school. I love the idea of making people look beautiful.

4. Personal shopper - again, the concept of transforming people from schlubby to superstar is a draw for me. If someone wanted to give me access to their credit cards, I could probably do a really amazing job of outfitting them with a brand new wardrobe.

5. Dietitian - along with the above, I think it would be a fantastic and satisfying job to help change someone's life (hmm...sensing a pattern here?). School, coursework, internships - it's a lot of work and I would have had to start a lot sooner.

6. College professor - even more work! This is one job I am still holding out hope for, although I don't know which subject I would teach. I would love to teach dance at a college level but then again, writing is a strength too. I wonder if there's a school out there that would allow me to do both?

7. Animal handler - it's so cool to watch people on sets taking care of animals, teaching them how to do things - but with care and love. I also think it would be neat to be a person who bring dogs and cats to the elderly or those in hospice care. However, I have never owned a pet as an adult so I have no idea if I am cut out for this or not.

8. Ballerina - ah yes...I didn't realize I was any good at this until I was older. If I knew then what I know now, I would have been more serious about ballet when I was a kid, tried to get scholarships to programs in NYC, and then pursued it professionally rather than go to college. I can't begin to do this on my own now but I hope I can encourage others to. It's a difficult life but I would have pursued it for sure if I had known.

9. Pastry chef - after watching many seasons of "Hell's Kitchen" and "Kitchen Nightmares," I really can't envision myself running a restaurant but I would love to work in a bakery. Although I don't have a sweet tooth, I do love baking for others and I especially enjoy creating sweet treats. I could go to culinary school and learn all sorts of things about cooking but would I have to eat meat? In every episode of "Hell's Kitchen," I see Ramsay and his contestants tasting every dish but I don't eat meat. Or cream sauces. Or fried foods. Okay, not the best choice for me.

I think I'll stick with what I'm doing for now. But it is fun to think about alternative lives.