Thursday, August 23, 2007

The King of Kong Rules!

Another movie recommend for a late summer afternoon…

“The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters” - more than a documentary about an old-school videogame or the (middle-aged) guys who play it, it’s an underdog movie for all of us who came of age in the, ahem, 80s (yes, I am aware that was the previous century).

David v. Goliath!
Rocky v. Apollo!
The Karate Kid v. Whoever That Other Kid Was!

Trust me, you WILL root for Steve Wiebe, the guy from Washington who came from nowhere to challenge the Donkey Kong champion, Billy Mitchell of Hollywood, Florida.

Grade school science teacher v. Hot sauce magnate!

It’s not in a lot of theaters so check your Yahoo! Movie listings. And please don’t be tempted to Netflix or Joox this one because you really should watch it in a theater with all the rest of the geeks, I mean, gamers.

But, Leigh, you say, I don’t like documentaries. That’s what PBS is for, you say further. And I don’t even watch PBS because I feel guilty that I’m not giving them any money and how can it always be pledge week, you say with a sort of whiny tone in your voice.

I know all this about you. But you gotta trust me on this one. I’m your Hollywood connection, aren’t I? I mean, you’re not connected to Hollywood through anyone else, are you?

You are? You are??

That is just…well, it’s just…I mean, I’m here every single day trying to make things happen for you. It’s not for me. I don’t do this for myself. I’m here, living and breathing Hollywood for your benefit.

Okay, okay…thank you for saying that. Even if it’s a lie, I appreciate the attempt to make me feel better. Honest, I do. I’m here for you. Only you.

Your Hollywood connection,
Leigh