Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Random Wednesday Stuff

First of all, thanks so much to all who came to the Durant library yesterday to hear me expound on writing and publishing. Let me amend that: thanks to everyone for talking with me about writing because it became a really nice, informal round table with pizza and sodas!

A super special thanks to Al Rice and Hannah Kramer for setting the event up and providing the pizza! We had such a blast - talked about writing and Meg and I got to meet a real life Meg fan (Laura, who wrote a book report on it for school!) and raffled off a free copy (congrats to Jack!). I'll post pictures on my website very soon (thanks HH!).

Second, yay to the WGA for making a deal and getting back to work for the enjoyment of all of us. They say we could have new episodes of comedies in about 3 to 4 weeks and dramas in 6-8 weeks. As for LOST, Carlton Cuse has said possibly 5 additional episodes but they were meeting with ABC to figure out exactly how many and also to restructure whatever they would be doing so it would have a satisfying season conclusion. I'll take whatever I can get, altho I wouldn't mind going into the summer with new eps!

Finally, how awesome was Idol last night? The first Hollywood week cuts were deep but difficult. 164 contestants to 50 and tonight, down to 24. Wow! These singers are GOOD! I mean, professional level good. I have heard Simon Cowell say this is the most talented group of all so far and I can see what he means. My secret faves: Josiah, who writes his own music, sings like a Brit and lives out of his car; the handsome Aussie who not only sang the Doors but also Queen (!); and the Janis Joplin-esque nurse with the tats and black hair who has a great attitude on life. What a great season to look forward to! I'm almost afraid to see who makes the cut tonight. Yikes!

Your Hollywood connection trying to get back into the swing of things after some recent disappointments,
Leigh