Monday, August 20, 2007

Out of the Woodwork

One of the coolest things about having a book published and having a website that goes with it, is that people you haven’t heard from in a long time contact you. I love that! So many times I wonder how a certain person is and where they might be (this happens when you move a lot and change jobs and schools and such as I have). With the power of Google, you can look up anyone anywhere if you simply have the right keywords. Now, for some of my old girlfriends, if they’re married and have changed their last names, I might not be able to find them. Fortunately for them, I'm not so old-fashioned: I kept my name. :)

Two summers ago I found one of my best friends from high school, Kim. She was living in Massachusetts. I hadn’t seen her since I moved to New York! We got in touch and even saw each other a couple of times and she came to my reading in our old hometown with her youngest son.

Recently I heard from a former co-worker, David, whom I hadn’t heard from since I left the company we worked for years and years ago. He did some traveling, found me through Google and voila! Re-connection!

And even an ex, Steve, emailed me not too long ago. (He’s married with kids, don’t get the wrong idea, people!) I was thrilled to hear about his family and his children. After all these years, it was nice to get his email.

Another girl from my high school contacted me, too, Tricia, whose name I borrowed for Meg. She’s a teacher in Connecticut with kids and a new last name! And best yet, she had info about people we both grew up with.

I wonder what happened to people I knew in grade school or college or at my very first job. Where are they and what are they doing? I do use Google a lot but some people are just not findable (a new Leigh word, patent pending).

Those are the ones I hope will Google me.

Your Hollywood connection feeling nostalgic,
Leigh