Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Return of the Harlem Globetrotters

Out here in LA, we had the State of the Union address at 6PM so by 8 o'clock, we're looking for some serious entertainment and by serious, I mean, not at all meaningful, kind of cheesy, and requiring the intelligence of a snail.

Welcome to the New Harlem Globetrotters! HH and I discovered this was on a channel we had never heard of - My TV? I think it's the leftovers of when UPN broke apart and some stations were left to fend for themselves. FOX swooped in and scooped them up and created this mini-mini-network called My TV. Aside from the Secrets of Street Magicians specials they have, which is HH's guiltiest pleasure, we never watch this network.

When I was a kid, I thought the Harlem Globetrotters were the very best basketball players in the world and that's why they all played on the same team. Imagine my surprise when Head Honcho tells me these guys, while skilled with a ball and slick with the comedy, couldn't hold a candle to Kobe or Shaq. Last night, for the very first time in my life, I saw how the Washington Generals, that team that travels with the Globetrotters, basically stands around and watches them shoot hoops, make ear-splitting slam dunks, and toss confetti on the crowds.

The Generals were not a real team? They let the Globetrotters beat them? Shocking!! I never noticed that before! I am being completely honest. Admittedly the last time I saw them play, I was probably ten years old and easily convinced of a lot of things.

My brother and I used to attempt all those cool Meadowlark Lemon and Curly Neal moves: spinning the ball on our fingers, dribbling between our legs, sliding on the floor and dribbling at the same time. You remember that, Jay? Yeah, good times.

While I was sad to see the image of the Globetrotters destroyed before my eyes (damn you, My TV and your rule-breaking specials!), it was a lot of fun to reminisce. And I still think they could beat a real team! Come on, Lakers, give it a try!

Your Hollywood connection,
Leigh