Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Superbad is Supergood

Lest you think I only appreciate political documentaries and obscure British costume dramas, I have to recommend "Superbad," which I finally saw this past week. Hilarious from start to finish! I can’t remember the last time I laughed so hard in a theater.

The two actors, Michael Cera and Jonah Hill, are soooo good together. It really feels as if they’ve known each other their entire lives. Great casting, great direction. Profane in all the right places, it has the feel of an early 80s movie, like “Porky’s” but with more heart. There is a definite sweetness to this movie as there was to Judd Apatow’s and Seth Rogen’s other films, “The 40 Year Old Virgin” and “Knocked Up,” although frankly, I didn’t find those two films as appealing as this one.

Head Honcho and I have loved Michael Cera since he charmed us on Arrested Development, the late great series from FOX.

Dang, there I go…crying again.

Anyway, check it out. It’s Superfun, Supercool, Superprofane…"Superbad." And it kind of reminds me (in a good way) of that MasterCard commercial with the 3 little boys doing the robot to “We Want the Funk.”

Your Hollywood Connection,
Leigh