Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What's with the number 4?

If you've been visiting lately, you might have noticed my experimentation with the number 4, an underrated number if you ask me. On Friday, I tried my hand at 9 but that felt all wrong. "4" feels more feminine: slender yet shapely, demure yet self-assured.

"4" is that number between 3 and 5, an odd number that is actually even. People so rarely use it in normal conversation. When was the last time you heard someone say, "Name me four of your favorite songs from the 80s?" Or "What are the top 4 movies at the box office?" No. It's always 3 or 5, or at the end of the year, usually 10.

["10" is like, the superstar of list numbers, the king of 'em all. "5" is probably the second most used for lists. But "4"? Bah! Hardly ever.]

I want to bring "4" back. I want to give "4" the respect it deserves. Don't be surprised if you see "4" around here a lot more often.