Thursday, April 30, 2009

Body Image Week Follow-up

Body image is a term which may refer to a person's perception of their own physical appearance, or the internal sense of having a body which is interpreted by the brain. Essentially a person's body image is how they perceive their appearance to be to others, which in many cases may be dramatically different from how they actually appear to them. (From Wikipedia)

I told you I'd remind you!

Many people remarked on my post last Friday and I thank you all for your support. I also want to thank all of the wonderful authors who posted about their own body issues at My Favorite Author and on the book blogger sites, Presenting Lenore, In Bed with Books and The Story Siren. They were all inspiring posts to read - and of course, I love to read the comments! Sometimes those can be just as insightful and thought-provoking.

Now, how did I do? Well, I was very good about the whole weighing-every-day thing - I limited myself to just once (yowsa that was hard!) and I allowed myself to eat all the fruits and veggies I wanted (believe me, this is a tough thing to do when you fight the urge to be hungry and constantly deny yourself what your body wants). So that was a good thing.

It's still hard to look in the mirror and lord do I wish this challenge came during a week I did NOT have my period! All I could see was bloat! But again, I tried to see the bigger picture and actually look at myself and say, hey, those legs aren't so bad! To be totally truthful, I couldn't get any higher than my legs - and just barely to my thighs! There was no way I was going to look at my butt or stomach...maybe next time around. :)

And lastly, the compliments...I LOVE giving compliments - I pretty much do it all the time. Part of that is being a teacher and wanting my dancers to feel good about certain things they are doing so they know I am not always picking on them but also, I learned that habit from my mother who is always good at complimenting strangers.

Taking compliments? LOL! I didn't get any! I got a couple for my dancing which I usually do and I am always gracious and thankful for that but no one said anything to me about anything else. So...oh well. Again, maybe next time around!

Now how about YOU. (You look great in that color, btw, and I love how you've styled your hair.) How did your week go? Did you fight the urge to turn your head from the mirror when you got out of the shower? Did you admire the way your toes curl gently beneath your flip-flops? Did you offer or accept a compliment from a stranger?

Go on back to My Favorite Author and see how others did then enter to win some terrific books from some of today's popular YA authors!

Cheers~