Monday, November 12, 2007

The Powers That Be

A comment on a recent post about Heroes made me start thinking about all the cool powers the characters have on that show. I've seen enough Spiderman and Batman movies and read enough graphic novels to know that there are a lot of really innovative writers out there creating characters with amazing super-cool powers but I have to say the writers of Heroes have amassed a serious number of awesome powers in one place - heck, in one city, it seems!

If you follow comic book lore at all, there has always been a debate between fans of Batman and fans of Superman, with the question being about an ultimate battle between the two of them. Who would win? And it's really unfair to put Superman in an equation like that because he's superhuman and impervious to bullets and brawn.

That could have happened with someone like Peter or Sylar in Heroes as they gain more power but I think the writers have done a good job of not allowing that to happen because they have tempered their powers with a weakness, as writers of all great superhero characters have, and because there continues to be something BIGGER and BETTER than what we see. At some point though, we have to wonder if there isn't an end to this because once we reach that end with the final person being THE most powerful and controlling individual, he or she can then be vanquished. Right now we're waiting to see who this Adam Monroe person is, where he came from, and why he's so much more powerful than our heroes.

I feel like there should be a lesson here for me, for us as viewers but I don't think there is one. Nor does there seem to be anything applicable to the current manuscript I'm working on! LOL!
Oh man, do I have a lot of work to do!! I need a superpower that handles THAT! :)

Your Hollywood connection,
Leigh