Saturday, February 23, 2008

"Music is none of my business..."

I often feel like that quote from Marge Simpson. I'm not hugely into bands although I love listening to the radio and discovering new songs and music but I'm not one of those people who are always fiddling with their iPods.

I have a Nano but the battery is always dying on me and man, does that suck.

And before you say it's just cuz I'm old and I didn't grow up with a pair of buds in my ear, let me disabuse you of that thought right now. I came of age during

(cue drum roll and crashing cymbals)

The Walkman Era!

This was the time of mix tapes for every occasion -your best friend's bf just dumped her, you've got a new bf yourself, you're feeling sad or lonely or happy or whatever - we bought cassettes by the dozen and made them every weekend.

I remember when my brother borrowed my first tape player and one of his lame buddies thought it would be funny to glue it shut. Until I could afford to replace the thing, I had to use it with a rubber band holding it shut and when the rubber band started to loosen, the tape would come unhinged and unravel so I was constantly replacing the band. Now that I think of it, I don't know that my bro ever replaced it for me...dude, that's uncool.

Anyway, I'm in front of my computer a lot these days and I really like to listen to music as I work, mostly classical with no lyrics but as a break, I enjoy contemporary stuff but until recently, my video card was trashed so I couldn't listen to iTunes or YouTube but now it's fixed, thanks to my Ninja Webmaster so this morning I have been treating myself to all sorts of fun stuff!

So far I've listened to the new Foo Fighters song about ten times. Let's make it 11.