Sunday, February 3, 2008

Super Commercials

Here in the C Leigh/HH household, the Super Bowl is on solely to watch the commercials and maybe the half-time show if no one takes their clothes off - or HH might say, only IF someone takes their clothes off. The football part? Not so much.

It's not as if I don't know about the game. I was a cheerleader (Go CHS Rams!) back in high school and had to learn how it's played so I'd know when to lead defensive cheers ("Push 'em back, push 'em back, waaay back!") or offensive ones ("Kick, kick, kick! Gooo, Rams!").

And just in case my old friend Mark is reading this, I freely admit to asking him why there was no goalie in football. He gave me a lame answer at the time and frankly, I still think it's a good idea.

Anyway...for seven years, I was the commercial clearance person at The WB and The CW which meant that I watched television commercials that would run on our air before they aired. I would have to clear them and make sure they were appropriate for our audience and shows. This also meant that I saw many of the super-duper Super Bowl commercials long before the game, sometimes as early as October or November. It was fun seeing them before anyone else but also, it took the surprise out of the game.

So this year, I will be a part of the regular audience again, clueless about the commercials, waiting to see what Monster.com and GoDaddy have up their sleeves. And that's probably for the best. Otherwise, why watch the game at all? Unless I have a bet on it.

Your Hollywood connection,
Leigh