Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A letter and invitation to librarians

To all librarians, far and wide, in these United States and abroad, I gratefully acknowledge your many contributions to the education of young adults (and old ones too!). As a dedicated library patron, I have always appreciated the library and in fact, have written entire scenes and characters in and around them in my books. In LOVE, MEG, an important scene is set at the Durant Public Library (which is an actual library on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood) and in ALL ABOUT VEE, not only are scenes set in the Chester Public Library (a fictional library, albeit based on the one in my hometown in Connecticut), but Veronica’s father and his fiancĂ©e are both librarians. That’s how much I love libraries!

So I offer to you, the lovely librarians of the world, whatever I can to encourage a love of reading and books in your libraries.

Want to do a podcast with me? I’m on it.

How about an on-line chat with a book club? Name the day.

Emails with students about my books for book reports or school assignments? You got it.

And of course, if I'm nearby - either for a trip or you're near where I live - I would be thrilled to make a visit.

I’m open to any and all suggestions you may have and if I can possibly accommodate you, I definitely will. So please, ask away!

Your humble Hollywood library patron,
Leigh